Today's Focus: Library Time for Annotated Bibliographies on Homelessness.
– Must use sources from the last five years; any statistics referenced must be no older than two years old. Do not make up statistics.
– A minimum of two books, three journals/databases, and three news articles.
– This is the basis/resource for our first Socratic Seminar which will take place on the 25th. You cannot adequately argue a social problem unless you are well-educated in that particular problem.
•In participating in a Social Issues Soc Sem, you focus on causes and solutions.
- Unit 1 Test on FRIDAY
- Socratic Seminar/Annotated Bibliography Due on Tuesday the 25th
Today's Focus: The Social Problems Process (Claim through Policy Outcomes), Instruction on Annotated Bibliographies
- Go to the Library tomorrow for class to work on your "Homeless" Annotated Bibliography
- Unit 1 Test on Friday
Today's Focus: PPPP Sharing and Note Card Survey, Syllabus Contract Collected
- None. Enjoy your weekend!
Today's Focus: Contemporary Issue Introduction to Homelessness - NYT and Seattle.gov readings and Small Group Discussion
- PPPP DUE TOMORROW
Today's Focus: In-class work time for Personal Paradigm Profile Project!
- PPPP due on Friday
Today's Focus: The Sociological Imagination Discussion, Fallacies of Thinking, Normative Paradigms
- Syllabus Contract due Friday
Today's Focus: Micro Sociological Theories, Social Issues vs. Personal Problems
- Critically read C. Wright Mills' The Sociological Imagination "The Promise" Chapter 1 DUE MONDAY
- Syllabus Contract due no later than February 7th
Today's Focus: Social Construction, Defining a Social Problem, C. Wright Mills' Sociological Imagination Introduction, Macro and Micro Sociological Theories
- Add/drop deadline TOMORROW
- "The Promise" Sociological Imagination Critical Reading due Monday
- Syllabus Contract due on January 31
Today's Focus: Welcome to Contemporary Social Issues! Introduction to Class, Syllabus Review, Introduction to Sociology and Social Problems (Subjectivist vs. Objectivist Outlooks, Social Construction)
- Add/drop deadline January 24th
- Syllabus Contract due January 31st